Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tweet Tweet Tweet

So remember that nest that was built right outside our bedroom window a couple of weeks ago?  The bird turned out to be a Robin, and it laid 3 eggs about two weeks ago.  This past Monday the first one hatched, and then by Tuesday all three of the eggs had hatched.  We've been trying to be nice to the birdies, but we still scare them lots, especially when we walk in our room when the blinds are open. 

Today I tried to take pictures of the babies while Mommy and Daddy were away, but one of them came back early and I scared it pretty badly.  Ryan says that he saw one of them in there feeding the babies after that, so hopefully they won't abandon the nest because of me.  Anyways, they're little pinkish-fuzz balls now, and they make little chirping/peeping noises when Mommy or Daddy come back with food, but other than that they're pretty quiet. 

Yesterday Ryan and I opened the window to get a better look at the birdies while Mommy and Daddy were away and I think opening the window moved the nest a little bit because one of the birdies lifted up its beak to eat and started peeping at us.  We closed the window pretty soon after that; right before Mommy came back to feed it.  It's been fun to have 'pet' birds, even though we don't do anything or take care of them at all. 

Here are the lousy pictures that I was able to get before I scared Mommy too badly.. I had trouble taking pictures through the screen of the babies.  It doesn't help either that our screen is really dusty/lint-y from having the window open to get the draft from the swamp cooler last summer, but Mommy was already building the nest when I was starting to spring clean, so I didn't get it cleaned yet.

Picture of the nest through the dirty window, and dirty blind.  You probably won't believe me, but there are 3 pinkish fuzzballs in there.

Trying to show kinda where the nest is built.  Right now the head of our bed is up against this wall where the window is.

Three pink fuzzies, can you see them??

Ignore the lint if you can.. we did clean off some of it so we could actually see the birdies.  They're starting to grow feathers now, and Mommy and Daddy have been tag feeding them constantly today and yesterday.

You can kinda see the three separate fuzzballs.

Daddy's back.. and window's still open.. oops.  I closed the window after this, but I probably should've left it open until he left again.  When I closed the window he flew away quickly to the tree across from the nest, but he and mommy have been watching us like hawks when we're in they're sight.