Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Finally, A Finished Crocheting Project

Months and months ago (probably around October), I decided that I had lots of extra yarn from a school project that I did so I was going to teach myself how to crochet.  Well, I learned how to crochet hats, mittens, little animals, etc., but I wanted to learn how to make something called a "granny square". 

So, I decided to make a small quilt that was crocheted out of granny squares.  I picked the colors I wanted  (leftovers from school) and then got to it.  However, it has taken me much longer than I thought it would to finish, and I had to buy more white and blue yarn, so it didn't quite get rid of as much yarn as I thought it would.  All well, I still think it looks good, and as it is made of blues, I guess it's a baby blanket now, although it's slightly bigger than a crib mattress size.  At least it is finally finished and I can get rid of the plastic bags in our front room that I've been using to store the granny squares and yarn.

Finished Quilt! YAY!

So I had to crochet each of the 'granny squares', and then crochet all of them together (the white border) as well.

You can see the white border that is 'loopy/lacey' which goes around each square, and then you interlock the loops as you go to connect each of the squares to the previous ones.  
Well, although this project took a long time, it at least let me watch movies and be somewhat productive at the same time.  Now I'm not sure what project to use to watch movies with.. hmm.. I will have to think some more, although I have many sewing projects that I'm going to make soon, so maybe more crocheting will have to wait.