Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer Updates - Garden

Well here are a few pictures that Ryan sent of our garden back in Bountiful, UT which I haven't seen in person yet, but I'll see it tomorrow!! Yay! These pictures are actually a few weeks old, but they're all I have. Bean plants.. they aren't doing the best in our garden, but at least they're growing finally right?? We also planted our garden late because we didn't move in until June 6th, so the garden didn't get started until mid-June because I left on June 8th for NJ and Ryan had just started his new job. So I guess I should say this is Ryan's garden because so far he's been the one who's done all the work, planting, weeding, watering, etc.. Here is one of our 2 watermelon mounds. We have watermelons growing too!! Ryan said we have 4-5 watermelons formed now, even though the biggest one is only ~1 inch long!
Who doesn't want fresh grown tomatoes??
Did I mention the apricot tree which no one seems to be picking fruit from that's right on the way to our garden behind the garage?!? We're so excited. Ryan's been picking up all the ripe fruit and quartering it and putting it in the freezer so we can make apricot syrup and apricot jam when his mom comes to Utah this week!

Anyways, I'm so excited to have a garden. I don't remember ever having as successful a garden as this one, even though I remember trying over and over with my mom year after year. We just have way to much shade in NJ and the plants always got eaten by slugs or insects. Of course, eventually Ryan wants to have an almost family sustaining garden, but for now I'm pretty happy with fresh tomatoes, apricots, and watermelons if we're lucky!