Friday, February 19, 2010

MMmmHmm Munchies

So this is probably my favorite recipe from my food prep class so far.. I think I've made 3 batches of it in the past month, but we've given lots of away too! I'm kinda surprised I like them so much because it has quite a bit of peanut butter in it, but I do!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Munchies (makes 30-32)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
extra sugar for topping

To make Choclate Part:
Stir together flour, cocoa, and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, butter, and 1/4 cup peanut butter. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Mix in the flour/cocoa mixture until it is smooth. Shape the dough into 30-32 balls.

To make Filling:
In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and the 3/4 cup peanut butter. Mix until smooth. (If necessary, knead with your hands) Shape into the same number of balls as the chocolate mixture.

To form the cookies flatten one of the chocolate balls, place the peanut butter ball in the center, and then reform into a ball with the peanut butter ball completely covered by the chocolate. Place two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly using a drinking cup dipped in sugar (I normally put the sugar in a small flat-bottomed bowl). This will make the sugar stick and give you cookies a good shape. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the cookies are set. Let cool and eat!

These are so good, but the longest part is making all the spheres, 3x, so normally I have Ryan do the peanut butter filling and making those balls, while I do the chocolate, and then we both form the filled cookie balls.