Friday, January 29, 2010

Ode to the Clyde / Donut Making

Yesterday was an interesting day because at ~10:40am the Clyde building was shut down because of a power outtage. In my lab meeting we found out that an independent contractor was drilling through a wall in the Clyde building and drilled into a high-voltage line, causing the transformer to blow up. The contractor apparently is okay (besides several severe burns) because a few people saw him limping out with his partner to the ambulence. However, experiments were being done and with the loss of power, they couldn't turn off the gas and had to evacuate. The carbon-monoxide alarms went off, and the firemen had to go in with all their gear on to turn off the gas and make sure everything was safe. The basement is still off limits because OSHA has to come and declare it safe because of the machinery and other hazards (like our biological hazards in the freezer). Luckily, this past summer my professor had our freezer hooked up to the backup generator, otherwise our spines might have been wasted, which would have been terrible.

All classes in the Clyde building have been cancelled yesterday and today, and the building is closed until further notice. Unfortunately neither Ryan or I have classes in the Clyde this semester (my first semester not having one there). However, it does put a hold me working because the basement of the Clyde is where all our labs and computers are.

Anyways, in my research lab we're preparing our SOP's and going over them very carefully because of all the things that have happened in the Clyde since spring time (student running his finger through the cold-roller [only broken in multiple places, not crushed], pressure vessel in another lab blowing up/shooting out the window into the parking lot, and now this). I must say that this year at school has been the most "interesting" yet, and it almost makes me want to stick around for more, but I don't think I want to risk the loss of limb.

So, last night Ryan and I decided to be adventurous and make pineapple-ham-fried rice and donuts because I had made them during my Monday Food Preparation class. I didn't really like the donuts that we had in Food Prep so we decided to try my Grandma Wade's recipe. The original recipe makes ~100 donuts!! Needless to say, we did not make 100 donuts, but we did make 50! These donuts are really good and are made with potatoes, so they're healthy right? However, we are planning on giving most of them away otherwise we'll eat way too many and get fatter..

The pineapple-ham-fried rice was pretty good and reminded me of Hawiian haystacks, but without the gravy. We both think that Hawiian haystacks are better than the fried rice, but it was still good and we have left-overs for lunch now. We also have leftovers from a pasta dish that I made, but I'm glad Ryan enjoyed it a lot because I thought it was just okay (and pasta fills me up really quickly).

I do have lots of pictures to post, but they'll have to wait until I get home and get my camera.